Thursday, April 20, 2006

thcuse me ith I'm talking funny but I'th jutht had a tooth out..Was just my luck to get a horrendous toothache the day before Good Frday. Today was the soonest I could get an appointment, so I had to endure agony all over Easter. It was one of those toothaches where when you drink or eat anything hot or cold your mouth gets like an electric shock....yowzers! The dentist told me that there were no cavities but the nerve was dying...I cant afford six hundred dollars for a root canal at the moment so I bravely told him to yank it out. My bravery was brief!! Sucking desperately on the nitrous oxide I endured the three injections with relative calm...until the moment I thought I was going to choke, I felt like I was trying to swallow a tennis ball. Gagging and carrying on I sat up in the dentist chair grabbing my throat thinking this was the end....no glamorous departure for me...I was going to kark
it in the dentist chair. The dentist tried to calm me telling me he had injected my soft palette and although it felt like I had something to choke on there was nothing there at all....to try not to swallow, it wasn't going to hurt. I felt like grabbing him by the ears! Then with an assortment of instruments and several of his fingers in my mouth he proceeds to ask me a question...HELLOOO! Not only am I choking on a tennis ball I have a gob full of objects....now is NOT the time to be asking me questions!!
After several minutes of yanking at this tooth it was obvious it was going to give up without a fight...he tells the dental nurse to steady my head....yikes!! More pulling and tugging..He has to stop every few minutes to catch his breath, we now have another nurse holding my shoulders down...I feel like saying..'Um you know what?, my tooth feels fine now, let's not worry about it" But nooo, this becomes very much like a dog playing tug of war with an old sock. Finally after twenty- five minutes I hear that sickening crack and the tooth was out...i was told not to eat or drink for four hours and I might like to take some pain killers. Might???? Went straight to the chemist for some heavy duty action. I have just woken up after an eight hour coma. I have decided that dentists rate right up there with pap smears and taxation officers!

10 comments:

Susan C said...

I'm with you there about pap smears, taxation agents, and dentists. I think the relevant professions all have to take at least one course in "how to intimidate your patients/clients" right before they graduate, that along with how to 'confuse and alienate your client by speaking in double dutch".

Your tales, however, are a crack up. Its so nice to see the lighter side.

Mish said...

Bev I hope your mouth starts feeling better soon...

Yup am in agreeance with all of the above!

Chrissy said...

I really don't like the dentist. I reaaaaally don't! LOL I spent more than an hour and a half in the chair the week I was due to have Alex while they took out my wisdom tooth, I was only in labour an hour with him so it took the dentist longer to pull my stupid tooth than it did for me to have a baby!

The nurses in hospital were giving me painkillers for my mouth, nothing to do with having just given birth!!

Hope it is feeling a little better now.

Chrissy xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Bev,
Thanks heaps for the descriptive dentist visit lol!, OMG i'm going to the Dentist on Wednesday to have three Teeth out and have my Jaw Bone Shaved, aaarrrrgggghhhh! Not looking forward to it at all. I hope you're feeling better now.
Take care,
Shelley Turner.

Anonymous said...

Bev I think I'd rather have a tooth out than a pap smear!!!!
love your blog!!!
Sue xxx

Robyn said...

I agree totally and can sooo relate!
I had a problem with a food pack and went to the dentist the Thursday beofre your toothache! No no cavities but we'll do this and that and I said being very brave.." no it's Ok I don't want to waste your time!" But hey guess what he did it anyway and $150 later and sore sinuses from all of the needles etc and that fear has become even firmer! I so hope your mouth is feeling better! By the way that coma sounds like the best part of your day!

Deb said...

I can so relate to your dentist visit Bev. Last time I went he ripped 4 teeth out and one of them shattered into pieces and took almost 35 minutes to extract (and I still found a few pieces coming out in the days that followed). I hope it's feeling better by now ...

Anonymous said...

oh great, just when i make the grown up decision to go to the dentist next week to get a quote on getting all my teeth fixed and replaced THIS..
think i'll book in for a pap smear instead! LOL

Deb said...

Oh Bev - poor thing. I hope you are all better now.

Smiles
TD xoxox

Angelrat said...

ewwww..... I feel faint now!

Gotta admit, I seriously HATE dentists. Scary people!

Linda.