Saturday, December 22, 2007

The dental work is all over folks, on Thursday I had my remaing top teeth removed and an upper and partial lower denture fitted...I was in agony for three or four hours but after that (touch wood) I was shocked to find myself pain free and now a few days later still pain free...I have to say the first time I removed the top denture to rinse my mouth I honestly almost fainted...it looks like I have been shot in the mouth..no joke, I still cant believe something that looks that bad isn't causing pain.The upside is (now the swelling has gone down) the teeth are quite realistic and dont look very fake....the downside is I talk with a terrible speech impediment and it is impossible to eat...it either hurts or I simply cant chew with them yet....since wednesday night I have had two bowls of runny porridge and a small tin of creamed rice...and eating that was an ordeal...Martin keeps asking me questions that require an answer with an S word which I simply cannot manage....you cant say s words with new dentures...So I wont have toothache for xmas...but I also wont be eating xmas dinner either!

2 comments:

Tess said...

I stho here you!!! another thing to watch out for is...sneezing, you cant sneeze with dentures, they fly out of you mouth! (believe me, they do!!), cant laugh, they fall down, dont try eating a toffee, IMPOSSIBLE!! chewing gum, cant be done! AND the best of all...if your going to throw up, remember to remove your teeth first or you will lose them down the toilet!! (now, i haven't done this yet, but everyone has warned me about this hazard!).
Buy some Hold-tite from the chemist (blue bottle) and use it! It really does work, your teeth will need a dentist to pull them out and you cant remove them until the powder disappears (about 24 or more hours!!) i tend to go overboard with it so they are glued in for days LOL..
in saying all that, you will never for one day regret having them done (i'm going in to get my bottom ones done after new year!!) but steak will never be the same again!!!!

Susan C said...

They look good and I think you will find it will all be worth it when everything settles down.